Chana Puri Recipe And Nutritional Value
Published on: 02-Nov-2022
10 min read
Chana Puri Recipe And Nutritional Value
Chana puri is a perfect Indian dish, making every festival special. It is delicious and favourite of all. So, what are you waiting for? Read the instructions and serve your loved ones the delicious chana puri.
Table Of Contents
1. An Overview Of Chana Puri
2. Chana Recipe
3. Oil-Free Puri Recipe
4. Nutritional Value Of Chana Puri
5. Dietitian’s Recommendation
6. The Final Say
An Overview Of Chana Puri
Chana puri is a popular North Indian breakfast dish that can also be served for lunch or dinner. The unique selling point of this curry is that it uses no butter or oil. Over the years, several variations of this fantastic chana masala dish have been developed and tested all over India.
This chana recipe requires the least amount of cutting, chopping, and preparation labour, which is its best feature. The appropriate blend of spices put in during preparation determines the dish's flavour. The pantry only needs the necessary spices to make this delicious dish.
Here is the chana puri recipe straight from the Indian kitchen. Have a look!
- White chana- 1 Cup
- Bay leaf- 1 leaf
- Green Cardamoms- 2 nos
- Cloves- 2 nos
- Onion- 1 chopped
- Ginger- 1 tsp
- Green chillies- 1 chopped
- Kasturi methi- ¼ Cup
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves- ¼ Cup
- Water- 4 Cup
(Spices For Chana Masala)
- Asafoetida- ¼ tsp
- Anardana powder- 1 tsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1 tsp
You Can Also Read: Chana Dal Namkeen: Nutritional Value, Health Benefits And Recipes
(To boil chana)
1. Clean, wash and soak chana overnight in water or for 5-6 hours. Next day drain water, and transfer chana to a colander.
2. Add soaked chana in a pressure cooker with 4-5 cups of water, whole spices, onion, ginger paste, and salt.
3. Close the pressure cooker's lid and cook chana until soft. It takes 3 -4 whistles over a low flame.
4. Allow the steam to release naturally from the pressure cooker.
5. Transfer chana into a large bowl. Reserve the water in which the chickpeas were cooked and discard the spices.
(To cook chana)
1. Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over a low flame.
2. Add asafoetida, coriander powder, anardana powder, and fennel powder. Dry roast the spices for 10 -15 seconds.
3. Add boiled chana, cumin powder, garam masala, red chilli powder, salt, and reserved chana water.
4. Mash the chana with the back of a ladle. It will thicken the gravy.
5. Cover the pan with a lid, and the chana masala simmer over low heat for 10-12 minutes.
6. Add ginger, green chilli, kasturi methi, coriander, and lemon juice. Stir to mix nicely. Cook for 5 minutes and turn off the flame.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Oil-Free Puri Recipe
Puri is a deep-fat fried bread made from whole-wheat flour. It is eaten for breakfast or as a snack. It is usually served with curry or bhaji, as in puri bhaji, but you can also eat it with sweet dishes like halwa.
ToneOp cares for your health! So, we have come up with a recipe for oil-free puri. So that you can enjoy the taste guilt-free.
- Wheat flour- 2 Cups
- Water- 1 Cup
- Salt, as per taste
1. Mix or sieve 1 cup of whole wheat flour with ½ tsp salt.
2. Add water at a time and knead well to form a soft dough with your hands or with the help of a stand mixer. The dough needs to be soft.
2. Cover the dough and let it rest for an hour.
3. Prepare the steamer bowl. Add water to the steamer bowl and grease the steamer dish with oil.
4. Let the steamer bowl steam for 5 minutes.
5. After 1 hour, open the dough and knead the dough for a few seconds. Grease your hand with oil and divide the dough into equal parts. Form rounds balls.
6. Take one of the round dough balls, press it in the dry whole wheat flour, and roll it with a rolling pin into a round shape.
7. Add the rolled round puri to the grease steam dish.
8. Steam them for 5 minutes.
9. After steaming, add steamed puri to the air-fryer basket and air-fry at 380 F for 4 minutes.
Nutritional Value Of Chana Puri
A serving of chana puri contains:
- Calories- 214kcal
- Carbs- 38g
- Protein- 10g
- Fat- 4g
- Saturated Fat- 1g
- Sodium- 129g
- Potassium- 415mg
- Fibre- 4g
- Sugar- 8g
- Calcium- 5mg
Chana and poori are both high in calories, so one must exercise caution and consume them in moderation. I recommend making and serving this dish for lunch rather than dinner because if there is not a 4-5 hour gap between dinner and sleeping time, this dish can become heavy for you and cause indigestion while sleeping.
- Dietitian Lavina Chauhan
The Final Say
The combo meal of puri and chana is always a favourite at our table. Whether it is a religious festival or any other special occasion, this puri chola meal is always preferred in Indian households to make the day extra special.
TONEOP is a platform dedicated to improving and maintaining your good health through a comprehensive range of goal-oriented diet plans and recipes. It also intends to provide value-added content to our consumers.
Download TONEOP to access our diet plans, recipes & much more.
Android user- https://bit.ly/ToneopAndroid
Apple user- https://apple.co/38ykc9H
Subscribe to Toneop Newsletter
Simply enter your email address below and get ready to embark on a path to vibrant well-being. Together, let's create a healthier and happier you!
Download our app
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *