Diet Plan For Covid Patients In India
Published on: 09-Nov-2022
10 min read
Updated on : 02-Nov-2023
Diet Plan For Covid Patients In India
Covid has turned our lives upside down in the past few years. Covid is a virus that originated in China and has spread throughout the entire world. The covid causes severe respiratory distress syndrome.
In March 2020, the WHO (World Health Organisation) declared it a pandemic which affected millions of lives worldwide.
The symptoms might sound like normal viral fever, but this virus's effect on the body shatters it inside out. Moreover, the unavoidable heavy medication worsens the condition because of its long-lasting side effects.
Medical treatment helps to kill the virus, but adequate nutrition during covid is crucial for faster recovery. Moreover, covid makes the body extremely weak for several days. Hence, it is important to take a diet plan for covid patients to improve organ health and combat damage and weakness.
Table Of Contents
1. What Are The Symptoms Of Covid- 19?
2. What Are The Causes Of Covid- 19?
3. What Are The Drawbacks Of Covid- 19?
4. Diet Plan During Covid In India
5. RDA And Supplements During Covid In India
6. Dietary Guidelines For Covid
7. Dietitian’s Recommendation
8. The Final Say
What Are The Symptoms Of Covid- 19?
Mostly, the symptoms of covid appear after exposure to the virus for 2-14 days. You can quickly spread the virus without having symptoms called pre-symptomatic transmission.
1. Common Symptoms Of Covid
A covid affected person can initially be seen as affected by the usual cough and cold, and here are what common symptoms of covid can look like:
- Loss of taste and smell
- Muscle ache
- Sore throat
- Difficulty in breathing
- Runny nose
- Chest pain
However, some people who do not have any of the above symptoms are also affected by this virus. Whereas many people have pre-symptoms before getting diagnosed.
People with heart, diabetes and breathing issues are more susceptible to the virus.
2. Diseases Which Can Invite Covid
Underwritten are the diseases that make the human body more susceptible to catching covid faster.
- Kidney disease
- Patients with down syndrome
- Nervous and brain conditions
- HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus)
- Diabetes (Type 1 and 2)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
3. Emergency Symptoms Of Covid
These are the symptoms, when shown, should immediately be taken action towards, and the affected person should be taken to the hospital without any delay.
- Unable to stay awake
- Breathing difficulty
- Chest pain
- Pale skin, lips and nails
What Are The Causes Of Covid- 19?
Most infection of covid spreads through close contact with people, like when someone coughs, sneezes, talks or breaths near you or shake hand with you after coughing or sneezing.
You can get affected through airborne transmission as the other person is exposed to a tiny droplet of respiratory syndrome that stays in the air for some time.
Covid also spreads when you touch any surface containing the virus and touch your eyes, nose or mouth with the same hand. However, the risk is relatively low, but there are chances that the virus can catch you.
It can also spread through asymptomatic transmission and can be affected by covid twice.
What Are The Drawbacks Of Covid- 19?
Almost 60-70% of people have mild-moderate symptoms. Although covid can cause severe drawbacks if not treated well for the people already suffering from certain diseases mentioned below.
- Organ failure
- Heart failure
- Kidney issue
- Blood clots
- Bacterial infections
- Severe lung issues
Diet Plan During Covid In India
While you are suffering from covid, the one thing to remember is the diet you are taking. It should be highly nutritious and help you recover fast so you can follow the post-covid diet plan to recover fully without fearing it relapsing.
Early morning- Warm tulsi and turmeric water
Breakfast- 1 serving of vegetable poha with tea/ warm milk
Mid-snacks- 1 orange/ papaya 1 serving
Lunch- Vegetable pulao 1 serving with curd raita
Afternoon- Homemade kadha
Evening snacks- 1 serving of masala boiled chana
Dinner- 2 whole wheat roti with 1 serving mix vegetables and 1 bowl of salad
Early morning- Cinnamon and warm honey water
Breakfast- 2 besan chilla with chutney
Mid-snacks- 1 bowl of fruits
Lunch- 1 paratha with paneer curry 1 serving and 1 serving jeera rice
Afternoon- Green tea/ warm turmeric water/ tea
Evening snacks- 1 bowl of soup (tomato/ vegetable)
Dinner- 1 serving of moong dal daliya khichdi with curd/ warm kadhi
Early morning- Warm lemon water with ginger
Breakfast- 1 vegetable sandwich (whole wheat bread)
Mid-snacks- 1 cup kadha and 1 fruit
Lunch- 1 serving of chicken pulao with buttermilk and salad
Afternoon- Tea/ coffee
Evening snacks- 1 serving of sprouts
Dinner- 2 multigrain roti with sabji and salad
RDA And Supplements During Covid In India
1. RDA (recommended dietary allowance)
Initially, you can commence with giving 50% of the nutritional, which will increase gradually to 70% by day 3 and 100% by the end of 1 week.
- For underweight 25-35kcal/kg
- For non-obese 25-30kcal vegetable stir actual weight
- For obese or overweight 25-30kcal/kg through their ideal body weight.
- RDA For protein 1-1.5g/kg on actual weight
- RDA for fats 25-30% of total calories
2. Supplements For covid
- Vitamin C 200 mcg-2g
- Zinc 30-220mg
- Vitamin A Advised to be consumed through diet
- Vitamin D 10-1000 mcg/day
- Vitamin E 134-800 mg/day
ToneOp Tip: Multivitamins and other minerals as per doctor's suggestion.
Dietary Guidelines For Covid
Covid has taken a toll on the world, and amidst the chaos, many tried to enlighten the world with their ‘no expert’ knowledge. Rather than following unproven facts, try incorporating the tips underwritten in your daily life and see the changes.
1. Breathing exercises and other cardio are advised as per individual tolerance.
2. No leftover food should be consumed the next day.
3. Diet rich in proteins, moderate carbs, and low fats should be consumed.
4. Foods should be consumed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to boost immunity, especially vitamin D and C-rich foods.
5. In severity, oral supplements of antioxidants and nutrients should be provided.
6. Foods like whole grains, paneer, eggs, chicken, fish, and nuts should be included.
7. Having warm turmeric milk everyday day is recommended.
8. Bright-coloured fruits like apples, mango, and berries are suggested as they contain antioxidants, minerals and vitamins.
9. You can indulge in meditation and yoga to relax your mind and avoid negative thoughts.
Apart from all these guidelines, certain everyday things need to be cleared. For example, some people thought lockdown was entertaining, so they used to cook various delicacies to relish their time.
However, the lockdown was a time to change your dietary habits, initiate healthy eating, and take care of your immunity.
Here are some ways to start taking care of your immunity
- Include half lemon juice in your diet daily.
- Do not opt for fats like margarine, vanaspati, ghee, etc. It will increase your body's fat and slow down your immune response.
- Spend time in the sun every morning for at least 30 minutes to get natural vitamin D.
- Keep a check on your weight and BMI (Body Mass Index)
- Drink coconut water thrice a week to get minerals and vitamins.
- Include curd, paneer, and buttermilk to get calcium and protein.
- Include seeds to get micronutrients like pumpkin, chia, and sunflower seeds.
-Dietitian Akshata Gandevikar
The Final Say
Covid has affected people’s health. Therefore, taking care of ourselves should be the priority of everybody nowadays, so following a healthy diet, including required supplements in your diet, and consuming foods which boost immunity should be taken.
1. Do fruits and vegetables spread the virus?
No, they do not spread the virus directly, but they should be washed properly before eating.
2. How to overcome coughing?
You can drink warm tulsi and turmeric water or tulsi and honey water regularly. Tulsi, turmeric, and honey have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which can cure coughing.
3. Does covid cause UTI?
It is important to have proper hydration and balance of fluid during covid to avoid UTI (Urinary Track Infection).
4. How to cure fatigue in covid?
You can simply consume foods rich in vitamin C, which will boost immunity, like lime, orange, and apples, giving you instant energy.
TONEOP is a platform dedicated to improving and maintaining your good health through a comprehensive range of goal-oriented diet plans and recipes. It also intends to provide value-added content to our consumers.
Download TONEOP to access our diet plans, recipes & much more.
Android user- https://bit.ly/ToneopAndroid
Apple user- https://apple.co/38ykc9H
Subscribe to Toneop Newsletter
Simply enter your email address below and get ready to embark on a path to vibrant well-being. Together, let's create a healthier and happier you!
Download our app
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *