Keep calm and drink apple juice!
Apple juice is made by pressing or grinding fresh apples to extract their liquid. The juice may be filtered to remove any solids or sediment and may be pasteurised or otherwise treated to extend its shelf life. It is a popular drink that is often consumed for its sweet taste and helps power detox.
Several studies have shown that apple juice taken in moderation has a significant impact on cardiometabolic health parameters and chronic disease prevention. A recent study (Marcotte, B.V. et al., 2022) concluded that consuming cloudy apple juice in moderation positively affects markers of cardiovascular diseases and helps in weight loss.
Let us know more about apple juice’s benefits, nutritional value and potential side effects. So, what are you waiting for? Keep on reading!
1. Health Benefits Of Apple Juice
2. Nutritional Value Of Apple Juice
3. How To Use Apple Juice In Diet?
4. Potential Side Effects Of Apple Juice
5. Dietitian’s Recommendation
6. The Final Say
Here are some health benefits of apple juice. Have a look!
Apple juice is high in vitamin C, an antioxidant that supports the immune system, helps the body to absorb iron, and plays a role in collagen production. Hence, it can be stated that apple juice helps rejuvenate skin cells and maintain their integrity.
Apple juice contains potassium, a mineral that helps regulate fluid balance in the body, supports healthy blood pressure, and is important for proper muscle and nerve function. That is why it helps in the excellent functioning of our hearts.
Apples are rich in polyphenol antioxidants, which help protect the body against cellular damage and inflammation.
Therefore, it may help in minimising the degenerative changes of the body, helps in reducing the risk of cancer and treats certain types of cancers.
Moreover, flavonoids and polyphenols in apple juice will help reduce our body's oxidative stress, which keeps our hearts healthy.
Though juices are in strained form, if consumed along with fibre may help in various ways. For example, apples are abundant in dietary fibre (soluble and insoluble), which would help reduce weight, manage constipation, control blood glucose levels, and check hypertension.
The nutritional value of apple juice can vary depending on the brand and the procession method. However, 8 ounces serving(1.2 cups/ 225g) of unsweetened apple juice contains:
In terms of micronutrients, 8-ounce serving of apple juice contains:
Some common uses of apple juice in day-to-day life include
1. Drinking it as a refreshing beverage.
2. Mixing it with other juices or beverages to create different flavour combinations.
3. Using it as an ingredient in smoothies or cocktails.
4. Cooking with it adds flavour to dishes such as sauces, marinades and baked goods.
5. Using it as a natural sweetener in recipes.
6. Drinking it as a home remedy for specific health issues, such as constipation or dehydration (although you should always check with a healthcare professional before using apple juice for medicinal purposes).
While apple juice is generally safe and healthy for most people, there are a few potential side effects to be aware of:
1. Drinking too much apple juice can cause bloating, gas, and diarrhoea in some people, especially those sensitive to the natural sugars or fibre in the juice.
2. Apple juice is high in sugar, which can lead to tooth decay over time, mainly if it is consumed frequently or in large amounts.
3. Some people may have an allergic reaction to apples or the other ingredients in apple juice, which can lead to hives, swelling, or difficulty breathing.
4. Drinking apple juice can cause a rapid increase in blood sugar levels, which can be a concern for people with diabetes or other conditions that affect blood sugar regulation.
5. Apple juice is relatively high in calories and sugar, which can contribute to weight gain if consumed in excess.
I recommend incorporating apple juice into a balanced diet as a source of essential nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium. However, remember that apple juice is high in sugar and calories, so it is essential to consume it in moderation and balance it with other healthy foods and fibre.
Select high-quality, minimally processed brands without added sugars or other artificial ingredients when choosing apple juice. It is also essential to consider the individual's dietary needs, health goals, and any potential side effects or interactions with medications.
Overall, apple juice can be a healthy and enjoyable part of a well-rounded diet when consumed in moderation and in combination with other nutrient-dense foods.
-Dietitian Aditi Upadhayay
Apple juice is a popular beverage with various health benefits, such as being a good source of vitamins and antioxidants. However, it is also high in sugar and calories, which can concern individuals with certain health conditions or trying to manage their weight. As with any food or beverage, moderation is key.
1. Is apple juice healthy?
Apple juice can be a healthy beverage choice as it contains various nutrients such as vitamin C and antioxidants. However, it is also high in sugar and calories, so it is essential to consume it in moderation.
2. Can apple juice go bad?
Yes, apple juice can go bad if it is not appropriately stored or kept past its expiration date. Signs of spoilage include an off smell, sour taste, or cloudy appearance. Therefore, it is essential to check the expiration date and store the juice in the fridge after opening it.
3. Is apple juice high in sugar?
Yes, apple juice is high in sugar, as it contains naturally occurring sugars from the fruit itself. Some apple juices also have added sugars, which can increase the sugar content even further.
4. Can apple juice cause diarrhoea?
Apple juice contains sorbitol, a type of sugar alcohol that can cause diarrhoea in some people, especially in large amounts. If you experience diarrhoea after drinking apple juice, you may want to reduce your intake or choose a different beverage.
Download TONEOP to access our diet plans, recipes & much more. Android user- https://bit.ly/ToneopAndroid Apple user- https://apple.co/38ykc9H
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *