Chanduva Fish: Facts And Health Benefits
Published on: 23-Sep-2022
10 min read
Updated on : 02-Nov-2023
Chanduva Fish: Facts And Health Benefits
It is okay to eat fish because they are nutritious! They are packed with nutrients that help your mind, body, and skin. Besides, fish is one of the healthiest and most beneficial protein sources in your diet.
There are several types of fish. However, today we are going to learn and understand about Chanduva fish. The fish belongs to the family Bramidae, one of the Perciformes species among 35 families of marine fishes.
Let us know some more about the delicious fish.
Table Of Contents
1. An Overview Of Chanduva Fish
2. Nutritional Value Of Chanduva Fish
3. Some Interesting Facts About Chanduva Fish
4. Health Benefits Of Chanduva Fish
5. Dietitian Recommendation
6. The Final Say
An Overview Of Chanduva Fish
Chanduva fish has several health benefits. The fish is believed to promote overall body growth, memory improvement, and body strengthening. Moreover, children and adults enjoy the subtly sweet taste enhanced by its delicate structure.
Chanduva fish is classified into three categories. They are
1. Silver/White Chanduva
2. Chinese Chanduva
3. Black Chanduva
Chanduva fish is known as Roopchand in Bengali and Pomfret in English. However, the black pomfret is called Nalla Chanduva, and the silver pomfret is called Tella Chanduva in Telugu. The same fish is called Butterfish and Pompano in the USA.
Nutritional Value Of Chanduva Fish
Chanduva fish have high-fat content and are a good source of calcium, vitamin B12, A, and D. Moreover, it has a sizable amount of iodine, which is essential for the thyroid gland. It is also healthy for the skin, hair, and eyes.
100g of Chanduva fish offers
You Can Also Read: Ola Meen: Health Benefits And Nutritional Value
Some Interesting Facts About Chanduva Fish
Here are some interesting facts about Chanduva fish that makes it stand out in the marine market.
1. The flat-bodied Chanduva fish has a long, solitary dorsal fin that runs the length of its body and has sharply forked tails.
2. Chanduva fish’s dorsal fins are often larger than anal fins.
3. Chanduva fish do not shoal like bangda fish or sardines fish and can be found both on the surface and in the lower deep column.
4. The primary food source for Chanduva fish are salpids, hydromedusae, or macrozooplankton.
5. Compared to freshwater Chanduva fish, the ratio of total omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids in marine Chanduva fish is significantly higher.
6. The most common fish in India are black and white Chanduva.
7. Chanduva is famous for its flavourful, subdued non-fishy flavour and delicate white flesh, and is also the preferred meat for most people due to its softness and ease of breaking after plating.
Health Benefits Of Chanduva Fish
How can we not talk about the health benefits of fish? So, here are a few health benefits that Chanduva fish offers.
1. Chanduva fish contains omega-3 fatty acids, vital for humans. It improves heart and health and helps in blood pressure management.
2. Regular consumption of Chanduva fish increases immunity and metabolic process.
3. Chanduva fish helps reduce stress levels and improve memory capacity.
4. Vitamin D in Chanduva fish may help bone growth and aid in the rejuvenation of our skin cells.
5. Chanduva fish has retinol, which is excellent for improving eyesight and also helps minimise fuzzy vision.
6. The fatty acids in the fish help to decrease tissue inflammation and relieve rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
7. The lean protein in fish is believed to maintain cardiovascular (CVD) health.
8. The doctor suggests Chanduva fish for patients who have mental illnesses. It helps reduce stress levels increasing, brain efficiency.
Researchers say fish rich in fatty acids are more helpful in decreasing the growth of a tumour, whereas omega-3 and omega-6 are essential fatty acids that play an important role in maintaining good health. Moreover, Chanduva fish is a relatively inexpensive source of protein. Therefore, it could be a healthy option for people on a budget.
-Dietitian Vajeda Rehman
The Final Say
Chanduva fish is one of the most highly consumed fish food in India. This is because it has high nutritional value and enormous benefits. It also improves heart, vision, and brain health and strengthens immunity against various diseases and changes.
1. Which Chanduva is good, black or white?
They both are nutritious. However, compared to black Chanduva fish, white Chanduva fish is low in calories, high in protein, and low in fat.
2. Is Chanduva, a low mercury fish?
Yes, Chinese Chanduva is low in mercury. However, it is high in Vitamin B3, B12, and D.
3. What is freshwater Chanduva?
Freshwater Chanduva has delicate white flesh with a sweet, subtle flavour. Lusciously flaky with a firm texture, it is considered one of the most delicate fish species for its distinct taste and texture, ideal for spicy meen varuval and meen kuzhambu.
4. Why is Chanduva fish expensive?
Chanduva fish is an elitist and is highly in demand. Therefore, it is expensive.
5. Is Chanduva fish tasty?
Black Pomfret/Nalla Chanduva fish is 100% natural and fresh. It has zero transfats and is delicious.
TONEOP is a platform dedicated to improving and maintaining your good health through a comprehensive range of goal-oriented diet plans and recipes. It also intends to provide value-added content to our consumers.
Download TONEOP to access our diet plans, recipes & much more.
Android user- https://bit.ly/ToneopAndroid
Apple user- https://apple.co/38ykc9
Subscribe to Toneop Newsletter
Simply enter your email address below and get ready to embark on a path to vibrant well-being. Together, let's create a healthier and happier you!
Download our app
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *