Post Diwali: How To Get Rid Of Breathlessness?
Published on: 28-Oct-2022
10 min read
Post Diwali: How To Get Rid Of Breathlessness?
Diwali is not only a festival of food and light but also a festival of firecrackers and smoke. These can cause harm to your health as well as the health of your family. Moreover, when you are dealing with any lung disease, it might be hazardous.
But how will you recognise that you have breathlessness? The medical term for breathlessness is dyspnea, which is relatively common. It occurs when a person has difficulty taking in enough oxygen to breathe. It can range from mild to severe.
Ways To Get Rid Of Breathlessness At Home
When the symptoms are not serious, they can be managed at home. Therefore, ToneOp brings tips that can help you eliminate breathlessness at home.
1. Deep Breathing
The deep breathing exercise can help you manage breathlessness. You can do deep breathing at home by following these steps-
- Sit in a comfortable place with hands on the abdomen.
- Breathe deeply through your nose, expanding the abdomen and letting the oxygen filled in your lungs.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds.
- Breathe out slowly through the month, and relax.
You can do this exercise several times daily or as often as you experience shortness of breath. It is recommended to keep breathing slowly and efficiently rather than quickly.
2. Pursed Lip Breathing
Pursed lip breathing is one of the best exercises that can help you relieve breath shortness. Besides, it is also beneficial when the reason for breath shortness is anxiety.
You can do this exercise by following the below steps.
- Sit on a chair and relax your shoulders.
- Press the lips, keeping a small gap between them.
- Inhale through the nose for a few seconds.
- Gently exhale through your lips on a count of four.
Repeat this exercise a few more times. You can do this whenever you feel breath shortness and repeat it throughout the day until you feel better.
3. Drink Black Coffee
Having black coffee helps to ease breathlessness, as caffeine reduces muscle tightness in the airways. According to a study, caffeine’s effect improves airway function in people with asthma. This can be enough to make it easier for them to inhale.
Besides, it is essential to note that overconsumption of coffee can increase a person’s heart rate. Therefore, when trying this remedy, you must check your caffeine intake and ensure you do not drink too much caffeine.
4. Eat Fresh Ginger
Ginger tea can help you calm down. It has anti-inflammatory properties that are great for reducing inflammation in the lungs. In addition, a few studies have shown that ginger may effectively fight the respiratory syncytial virus, a common cause of respiratory infections.
5. Inhale Steam
Inhaling steam is helpful to keep your nasal passages clear and helps you breathe more easily. The heat and the moisture from steam breaks down mucus in the lungs and reduces breathlessness.
You can try the steam inhalation process by following the below steps.
- Take a bowl and fill it with hot water.
- Add drops of peppermint or eucalyptus essential oil.
- Position your face over the bowl and place a towel over the head.
- Inhale the steam and take a deep breath.
6. Stand With Back Support
Standing with back support can also help you relax your body's airways. This position helps to make more space in the chest for breathing.
You just have to
- Stand near a wall, facing away, and rest your hips on the wall.
- Keep the feet apart and rest your hands on your thighs.
- Relax your shoulders and lean slightly forward.
- Dangle your arms in front of you.
You Can Also Read: Post-Diwali: Do's And Don'ts In Detoxification By ToneOp
What Are The Common Causes Of Breathlessness?
There are several reasons for breathlessness, a few of which have been listed below.
- Being overweight/ obese
- A panic attack
- Lung cancer
- Heart failure
- Extreme temperature
- Exerting exercise
Minor Changes Make a Big Difference
If you deal with breathlessness often, you should identify its trigger points. Some changes in the lifestyle can help you avoid those trigger points and ease the symptoms. You can follow these tips to experience positive changes.
- Lose weight if you are obese
- Exercise regularly to improve your fitness level
- Avoid exercising in hot conditions and weather
- Quit smoking
- Practice breathing exercises regularly
- Avoid things you are allergic to
- Avoid pollution
When To Visit A Doctor?
Make an appointment with the doctor when you find the below symptoms.
- Swollen feet or ankles
- Feel more breathe shortness when you lie down
- Have blue fingertips or lips
- Make noise when you breathe
- Laboured breathing
- Fever with chills and cough
Breathlessness can occur for many reasons, and the relief may depend on the underlying cause. However home remedies help you get back your breath, but it is sometimes a sign of a more severe condition.
Considering a doctor is also a safe option, as they help you find relief and may suggest better treatment for the condition.
TONEOP is a platform dedicated to improving and maintaining your good health through a comprehensive range of goal-oriented diet plans and recipes. It also intends to provide value-added content to our consumers.
Download TONEOP to access our diet plans, recipes & much more.
Android user- https://bit.ly/ToneopAndroid
Apple user- https://apple.co/38ykc9H
Subscribe to Toneop Newsletter
Simply enter your email address below and get ready to embark on a path to vibrant well-being. Together, let's create a healthier and happier you!
Download our app
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *