Surmai Fish: Health Benefits And Recipies
10 Min Read
Surmai fish in English is known as Indo-Pacific king mackerel as it is inherent to the Indian ocean. It is potent in nutrition essentials and is sold at high prices worldwide.
Surmai fish is excellent for people suffering from joint-related medical conditions like atrophic arthritis and osteoarthritis.
The flesh of Surmai fish is oily in texture and taste. Therefore, it is the most loved fish for consumption with ample health benefits.
Surmai is a seawater fish loaded with minerals and vitamins and is one of the best seafood on earth.
Let us discuss and understand the health benefits of Surmai fish.
Table Of Contents
1. Nutritive Value Of Surmai Fish
2. Health Benefits Of Surmai Fish
3. Surmai Fish Recipes
4. Dietitian’s Recommendation
5. The Final Say
Nutritive Value Of Surmai Fish
Health Benefits Of Surmai Fish
1. High Source Of Vitamin B12
To improve the proper functioning of the nervous system and curb the chances of anaemia, vitamin B12 plays an essential role in producing DNA.
2. Important Source Of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
The Surmai fish is oily and loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and essential fats.
On the positive side, mackerel offers an essential omega-3, and just one fillet provides 2991 mg of the fatty acids. Per 100 grams, this equates to 2670 mg of omega-3.
And consuming Surmai is the best way to increase the omega-3 in the body instead of eating omega-3 tablets. Omega-3 has anti-inflammatory properties, which are great for medical conditions like arthritis, heart issues, etc.
Studies show that higher plasma levels of omega-3 result in a lower risk of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality.
3. Loaded With Protein
Surmai is a complete source of protein that includes all the amino acids that help boost metabolism, muscle gain, and muscle wear and tear.
4. Contains Relatively Low Levels Of Mercury
Seafood is excellent for health. Still, one threat is always there: seafood can be infected with mercury.
However, Surmai is one fish with relatively low mercury levels, which is great for health.
5. Great For Joints
Consuming Surmai fish regularly helps treat joint swelling, atrophic arthritis, and osteoarthritis symptoms. In addition, some biotechnology research suggests that having seafood assists in curbing the chances of having arthritis.
6. Boost Eyesight
Surmai is an excellent source of vitamin A and retinol, which keeps the eyesight strong. In addition, the fatty acids in the Surmai help curb age-related macular degeneration, including blurring eyesight.
7. Increases Brain Power
The omega-3 fatty acids help to lower the chances of depression. Regular omega 2, which can be easily obtained from Surmai fish, also helps prevent post-natal depression. Also, it helps to curb dementia symptoms and other brain-related issues in adults and children as well.
8. Great for the skin
The omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients in the Surmai fish help provide moisture, making the skin look plump and radiant. Also, it helps decrease psoriasis and eczema, boosts collagen production, and increases the skin's firmness and elasticity.
Surmai Fish Recipes
1. Surmai Fish Curry
A healthy yet yummy and loaded with nutrients, Surmai curry combines well with rice or roti.
- Surmai fish- 250gm
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Salt according to your taste
- Ginger grated- 1
- Garlic Cloves- 6 to 7
- Red chilli powder- 1.5 tsp
- Small onion chopped- 1
- Green chilli- 2
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves- ½ cup
- Tomatoes- 1 big
- Tamarind pulp- 1.5 tbsp
- Water as per the requirement
- Oil- 1.5 tsp
1. Take a pan to add the oil and add chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
2. Now take onion in a blender, add green chilli, coriander leaves, ginger and garlic and blend to make a smooth paste.
3. Now, take the same pan, add the remaining oil and the blended paste, mix the dry masala and salt and cook until the masala leaves oil.
4. Add the fish pieces, mix well, and cook for about 5-6 minutes on medium flame.
5. When the fish is half cooked, add the tomatoes and tamarind pulp, mix well, and let it cook for 7-8 minutes until it is cooked properly.
6. Now add water as required to make curry. And let it boil for 5-6 minutes.
7. Adjust salt if necessary.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice.
2. Hara Masala Surmai Pulao
A way of eating Surmai fish combined with rice in pulao.
- Surmai fish- 4-5 pieces
- Grated coconut- ½ cup
- Curd- 100gm
- Onion chopped- 1 big
- Potato chopped- 1 medium
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Mint leaves- 5-6
- Garlic cloves- 2-3
- Green chillies- 2
- Jeera powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder- ½ tsp
- Star anise- 2
- Bay leaves- 2
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder- to taste
1. Make a green paste by combining garlic, mint, coriander and salt by blending them smoothly.
2. Now wash the fish pieces, add this green paste, garam masala and all the dry spices, and marinate the fish for 30 minutes.
3. Take a pan, add oil, ginger, garlic paste and onion and saute for 7-8 minutes till it turns translucent, then add potatoes and mix well.
4. In another pan, add a little oil and roast the marinated fish from both sides until light brown.
5. After roasting the fish, keep it aside.
6. Now cook the rice in the same pot and add bay leaves and star anise.
7. Add salt to the rice and let it cook properly. Now, add the fish and mix gently so that the rice also gets its flavour.
8. Adjust the salt and spices if required.
Surmai is one of the most loved fish by people of all ages. Wide varieties of this fish can be distinguished by only making curry-like cutlets, samosa (air fried) etc.
Surmai is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, considered great for many health issues and the above health benefits. It also helps improve cognitive function in children who have ADHD.
Surmai is also rich in calcium, which keeps the bones strong. Also, it provides skin radiance and smoothness. In addition, it is loaded with selenium, a significant mineral that keeps infections away and boosts immunity.
-Dietitian Akshata Gandevikar
The Final Say
Surmai fish is rich in protein, calcium, vitamin A and many other minerals that keep infections at bay. It is also great for the heart as it keeps the cholesterol level in check by reducing LDL, increasing HDL in the body, and keeping inflammation away.
1. Can Surmai fish be consumed regularly?
Yes, it can be consumed regularly. However, there should also be healthy intervals to get other nutrients from vegetables and pulses.
2. Is Surmai fish good for pregnant women?
Yes, it is safe for consumption by pregnant women as it does not contain high mercury.
3. Is Surmai fish good for the heart?
Certainly, it is one of the best seafood for cardiovascular issues due to omega-3 fatty acids.
4. Is Surmai fish good for diabetes?
Surmai fish is an excellent source of protein that keeps the blood sugar level in check and is great for diabetic people.
TONEOP is a platform dedicated to improving and maintaining your good health through a comprehensive range of goal-oriented diet plans and recipes. It also intends to provide value-added content to our consumers.
Download TONEOP to access our diet plans, recipes & much more.
Android user- https://bit.ly/ToneopAndroid
Apple user- https://apple.co/38ykc9H
Download our app
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *