7 Course Healthy Thyroid Diet Plan For Weight Loss
Published on: 22-Mar-2023
10 min read
Updated on : 02-Nov-2023
7 Course Healthy Thyroid Diet Plan For Weight Loss
The thyroid gland in your body generates hormones. A thyroid issue is identified when it produces too many or insufficient hormones. Hyperthyroidism occurs when your body creates an excessive amount of thyroid hormone. Hypothyroidism is a result of inadequate thyroid hormone production. Excessive weight gain is one of the most common symptoms of imbalanced thyroid levels. To manage weight, experts generally suggest a thyroid diet plan for weight loss to their patients.
Uncontrolled diabetes can result in obesity, joint pain, heart problems, and infertility. A diagnostic lab discovered hypothyroidism was common in North India in 2017, while West and South India reported higher occurrences of hyperthyroidism. In 2019, a study found that one out of every ten Indian adults suffering from hypothyroidism needs special medical care.
Doctors give medication to treat thyroid diseases, which restores the balance of hormones generated by the thyroid gland in your body. You can, however, supplement these efforts with the proper thyroid diet plan for weight loss and managing other symptoms. Examine how food is related to the thyroid, which foods to include in your thyroid diet and which to avoid.
Table Of Contents
1. The Thyroid Gland
2. Foods To Be Avoided In A Thyroid Diet Plan For Weight Loss
3. Do's And Don'ts For A Thyroid Diet
4. Thyroid Diet Plan For Weight Loss
5. Dietitian’s Recommendation
6. The Final Say
The Thyroid Gland
The thyroid gland generates substances that aid in the regulation of your metabolism. Thyroid hormones are released into the bloodstream by the thyroid gland. Four forms of thyroid issues can impair its function. Hypothyroidism results from your body not producing enough metabolic hormones, whereas hyperthyroidism occurs when your body produces excessive amounts. Thyroid cancer and benign thyroid tumours can both interfere with regular hormone output. While all of these diseases necessitate medical attention, modifying your diet can have a favourable impact on your thyroid's health.
Thyroid hormone levels in the body are higher than normal in hyperthyroidism. In contrast, thyroid hormone levels in the body are lower in hypothyroidism. Each of these disorders can impair the proper functioning of many bodily functions. You can restore your thyroid hormone levels by making a few dietary modifications.
There are no authorised foods or supplements for treating thyroid problems. The key to treating thyroid disease is to eat healthily, like adopting a thyroid diet plan for weight loss.
Balanced, calorie-controlled foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and legumes are the most important elements of a thyroid diet plan for weight loss. Because the thyroid can influence your weight, eating calorie-controlled meals and exercising can help you manage your thyroid levels.
Foods To Be Avoided In A Thyroid Diet Plan For Weight Loss
1. Processed Foods
Processed foods are at the top of the list of thyroid foods to avoid. These foods are high in sodium, which is bad for hypothyroid people. Excess salt consumption might raise your blood pressure. High sodium intake can harm your health if you have an underactive thyroid gland. They should be excluded from the thyroid diet plan for weight loss and, in fact, from all weight loss diet plans.
If you are looking for foods to avoid for thyroid patients, steer clear of soybeans and their derivatives because of the presence of isoflavones. Thyroid foods such as tofu and edamame are not included in thyroid diet plan for weight loss and should be avoided. These substances have an effect on thyroid gland function and also interfere with thyroid treatments.
3. Fibre-Rich Foods
While fibre can help with many hypothyroidism symptoms, too much fibre can interact with your thyroid meds. Beans and bread are thyroid foods to avoid because they might cause digestive issues. After speaking with an expert, consume fibre-rich meals in moderation.
4. Gluten-Containing Foods
Gluten-containing foods can help to reduce the side effects of thyroid drugs. Gluten is thus a food that thyroid sufferers should avoid. Thyroid sufferers should avoid foods like barley and wheat and avoid gluten entirely. They should opt for gluten free Indian vegetarian diet plan for weight loss.
5. Sugary Snacks And Desserts
Sugary foods are not good for thyroid patients. This is because your metabolism slows, causing your BMI to rise. Sugary desserts and snacks have no nutritional benefits and are heavy in calories. These are thyroid foods to avoid in the thyroid diet plan for weight loss if you want to keep your thyroid levels stable.
6. Fried Foods
Among the different thyroid foods to avoid are butter, beef, and other foods high in harmful fats. Fried foods inhibit thyroid medication absorption and interfere with thyroid gland function. They should be strictly avoided in the thyroid diet plan for weight loss.
7. Cruciferous Vegetables
Cruciferous vegetables, such as kale, broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower, can also be dangerous if consumed in big numbers. When ingested in large quantities, they can hinder the thyroid gland from receiving the iodine required. They are significantly included in the thyroid Indian diet plan for weight loss.
Do's And Don'ts For A Thyroid Diet Plan For Weight Loss
Do's Of Thyroid Diet Plan For Weight Loss
- Take your recommended thyroid medicine as soon as you wake up.
- When taking thyroid medicine, wait 15 to 30 minutes before drinking a glass of dhania (coriander) water.
- Dhaniya water aids in the treatment of hypothyroidism symptoms.
- Regular physical activity is recommended for at least 30 minutes in the morning.
- Eat your pre-workout meal 15 minutes before you begin your workout.
- A solid pre-workout meal is critical for fueling your body and improving performance.
- Eat breakfast within 30 minutes of your workout to refuel your body and energy reserves.
- Eat breakfast with recommended side dishes such as chutneys, sambar, or boiled egg to achieve a balanced meal.
- Snacks should be consumed between breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Together with your appetisers, drink buttermilk or tea.
- Add plenty of water to stay hydrated. Using the Hint app, you can keep track of your water use.
- As a morning snack, consume brazil nuts. They are high in Selenium, which aids thyroid function.
- Eat a raw vegetable salad 10 to 15 minutes before a main course. It provides satiety and aids in the prevention of overeating.
- Large meals should be avoided. Thus, stick to the portion sizes specified in your plan.
- Finish your meal before 9 p.m.
- Drink your bedtime beverage for 30 to 45 minutes before going to bed.
- Turmeric milk is high in antioxidants, and the active ingredient is curcumin. Turmeric drinks can help manage thyroid issues if consumed regularly.
- Sleep for 7 to 8 hours per day.
- Keep a meal diary to keep track of portion sizes and calorie intake.
- Use reminders to follow the regularity of meal timings.
- Try logging your food daily, as it helps you make healthy choices.
Don'ts Of Thyroid Diet Plan For Weight Loss
- Avoid missing meals.
- Do not deprive yourself. It will not assist you in losing weight.
- On an empty stomach, avoid drinking tea or coffee. It contributes to acidity.
- In a pre-workout meal, avoid sugary fruits and fruit juices. As a pre-workout meal, only consume the suggested fruits.
- Avoid skipping your pre-workout meal.
- At breakfast, lunch, and dinner, avoid deep-fried or processed foods.
- Avoid skipping mid-morning and evening snacks. It causes desires and overeating during your next big meal.
- After 6 p.m., avoid coffee and tea.
- Sitting over an extended period reduces metabolism.
- Restrict yourself from eating out once per week. Bring your lunch to work.
- Avoid fasting and feasting.
- Do not have vitamin supplements at the same time as thyroid as they tend to interfere with the absorption of thyroid medication.
- Never skip a dose of thyroid medicine.
Thyroid Diet Plan For Weight Loss
ToneOp brings to you this thyroid diet plan for weight loss: whole grains, fruits, vegetables, natural foods, fish and lean proteins to aid in weight loss for thyroid patients. It entails restricting goitrogenic foods (foods that interfere with normal thyroid function).
Below is a sample thyroid diet plan for weight loss:
1 glass of lukewarm water with cumin seeds + 4 almonds & 2 walnuts.
2 small moong dal cheela with chutney/ 2 egg white omelette with brown bread toast / 1 bowl oats with skimmed milk / 1 serving vegetables upma/Idli with sambar.
1 fruit (guava/orange/pear/fruit chaat/etc.)
3-4 chapati + 1 bowl seasonal veg + 1 bowl chicken or fish or beans or pulses + 1 serving salad + buttermilk.
1 cup green tea + 1 bowl roasted chana/ makhana/ peanuts / 2 pc dhokla etc.
1 bowl veg soup/chicken soup + grilled fish or chicken + 1 serving veg salad + 1 chapati + 1 bowl seasonal vegetable + 1 bowl low fat curd.
1 cup turmeric milk.
Adopting easy dietary modifications ensures that you are assisting in your thyroid patient's recovery. Iodine, selenium, zinc, and vitamins B, C, and E should all be included in a thyroid diet plan for weight loss. It should also consider other health conditions, including diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and cardiovascular disease, to change intake quantities.
-Dietitian Lavina Chauhan
The Final Say
Creating a food plan for hypothyroid patients in India entails experimenting with various grains and fresh produce. Knowing what to eat is vital, but knowing which Indian foods to avoid during a thyroid diet plan for weight loss during following diet for hypothyroidism is even more critical. The appropriate diet will help you fight bloating, improve digestion, and lose weight. However, for total thyroid management, a more thorough approach is required.
1. Which dal is best for the thyroid?
Moong dal, like other pulses, helps the body get rid of iodine deficiency and has a low glycemic index. It is also easy to digest and keeps your stomach healthy.
2. Is coconut water good for the thyroid?
Coconut is one of the best foods for thyroid patients, raw coconut or coconut oil. It improves slow and sluggish metabolism. In abundance, coconut contains MCFAs (medium-chain fatty acids) and MTCs (medium-chain triglycerides), which help improve metabolism.
3. Which dry fruit is good to include in a thyroid diet plan for weight loss?
Hazelnuts are one of the dried fruits essential for thyroid health. They contain selenium which has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps with thyroid hormone synthesis.
4. Is curd good for the thyroid diet plan for weight loss?
Because it is one of the healthiest foods for the thyroid gland, the humble curd finds its place in the sun. Dairy products, especially yoghurt, are nutrient-dense and aid in meeting the body's iodine needs. Iodine is required for the thyroid gland to function at its best.
TONEOP is a platform dedicated to improving and maintaining your good health through a comprehensive range of goal-oriented diet plans and recipes. It also intends to provide value-added content to our consumers.
Download TONEOP to access our diet plans, recipes & much more.
Android user- https://bit.ly/ToneopAndroid
Apple user- https://apple.co/38ykc9H
Subscribe to Toneop Newsletter
Simply enter your email address below and get ready to embark on a path to vibrant well-being. Together, let's create a healthier and happier you!
Download our app
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *