Kalonji Seeds: Health Benefits And Recipes
Published on: 19-Nov-2022
10 min read
Updated on : 02-Nov-2023
Kalonji Seeds: Health Benefits And Recipes
There is healing in Kalonji for all diseases!
Kalonji in Kannada is known as Krishna Jeerige. These are also known as black cumin and are rich in many nutrients. Kalonji is widely used as a seasoning in many dishes.
Kalonji seeds taste nutty and peppery and can enhance the flavour of soups and stews. It can be added to make paratha, dal, sabji etc. Moreover, it also has properties to heal any medical condition.
Let us talk about some health benefits, recipes and nutritional value of kalonji seeds.
Table Of Contents
1. Nutritional Value of Kalonji Seeds
2. Health Benefits Of Kalonji Seeds
3. How To Use Kalonji Seeds In Diet?
4. Kalonji Seeds Recipe
5. Dietitian's Recommendation
6. The Final Say
Nutritional Value of Kalonji Seeds
Kalonji seeds have ample nutritional value.100g of kalonji seeds contain
- Calories- 524 kcal
- Protein- 17.81g
- Fat- 31g
- Carbohydrates- 44g
- Fibre- 34g
- Iron- 6.5g
- Phosphorus- 535mg
- Zinc- 5mg
- Sodium- 16mg
- Calcium- 1.5mg
Health Benefits Of Kalonji Seeds
Here we have listed the health benefits of kalonji seeds. Have a look!
1. Controls Diabetes
Kalonji helps to control the blood sugar level, primarily in type 2 diabetes. So consuming black tea with kalonji oil on an empty stomach can help to provide desired results. However, you should consult your nutritionist or health care professional before taking it.
2. Loaded With Antioxidants
Antioxidants such as thymoquinone, t-anethole, and carvacrol help prevent oxidative damage in the body and fight free radicals. The antioxidants in kalonji can protect from obesity, cancer, heart issues, and diabetes.
3. Prevents The Formation Of Bacteria
Kalonji has some anti-bacterial properties, which protect the body against certain bacterial infections. Also, applying kalonji oil topically can protect the skin from infection and works as an antibiotic.
4. Promotes Memory
The combination of honey and kalonji seeds helps to boost the power of memory and intelligence. You can consume this mixture daily to get positive results and improve brain function. Also, consuming kalonji helps with Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Reduces Stomach Ulcers And Constipation
The compound named thymoquinone eases gastrointestinal issues and promotes digestion issues. The consumption of kalonji seeds can preserve the gut lining and control ulcer formation.
6. Aids In Weight Loss
The phytochemicals like phytosterols in kalonji seeds can promote weight loss faster. You can simply drink the soaked kalonji water with honey for better results.
7. Great For Teeth
Kalonji seeds are excellent medicine for bleeding gums and oral health. It will lower dental issues like cavities, swelling of gums and plaque. You can make a mixture of curd and kalonji seed powder and apply it to the gums and teeth two times a day.
8. Contains Anticancer Properties
The antioxidants help to fight the free radicals which cause cancer like lung cancer, cervical cancer, breast cancer, and pancreatic cancer. This is because it neutralises the free radicals and controls their formation.
9. Lowers Inflammation
Kalonji seeds have anti-inflammatory properties, which work as a lubricant for joint pains and cure other chronic inflammation.
How To Use Kalonji Seeds In The Diet?
Here are the tips that will help you to add kalonji seeds to your diet.
- To make the curry of lentils and other legumes, you can add kalonji seeds and enhance the taste of the dal.
- To get an aromatic and nutty taste, just roast the kalonji seeds in ghee or butter and add it to a sabzi of your choice.
- You can also incorporate kalonji seeds in a salad for palatability, texture and taste.
- It can be used as a spice in pickles with fennel and mustard seeds, as kalonji seeds contain healing power.
- You can also sprinkle it on your roti, paratha or naan, mostly while eating chole or rajma. It provides extra flavour.
- It can be added to stews, soups, and sauces for a peppery taste.
- Used in the most famous masala called panch phoran with another blend of spices from India.
Kalonji Seeds Recipe
Here we have listed a few recipes that you can try at home. Have a look!
1. Spicy Sweet Potato Kalonji Salad
Adding kalonji to sweet potato salad enhances the dish's flavour and makes it more delicious.
- Sweet potatoes- 2, boiled
- Kalonji seeds- 1 tsp
- Olive oil- 1 ½ tsp
- Dry mango powder- ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder- ⅓ tsp
- Lettuce- 2 leaves, finely chopped
- Beetroot- 1 small, boiled and diced
- Parmesan cheese- 1 tbsp
- Cucumber- ⅓ chopped
- Tomatoes- 2 chopped, dried
- Salt as per taste
1. Take a pan and add oil and kalonji seeds.
2. Once the seeds splutter, add sweet potatoes.
3. Sprinkle the red chilli powder, salt and dry mango powder. Mix it well, transfer it to the other bowl, and let it cool.
4. Add chopped vegetables and lettuce to the sweet potato mixture. Mix well and add salt and dry mango powder.
5. Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese, and it is ready to serve!
2. Kalonji Seeds And Mint Paratha
A delicious mint paratha with the goodness of kalonji served with any sabji.
- Kalonji seeds- 1 ½ tsp
- Whole wheat flour- 1 cup
- Yoghurt- ⅓ cup
- Salt, as per taste
- Oil for roasting
- Mint leaves- ¼ cup, chopped
1. Mix flour, salt, kalonji, and mint leaves in a bowl.
2. Add the curd, mix well, and then add the water to knead the soft dough. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
3. Make equal size portions of the dough and roll the thick paratha on the rolling board.
4. Roast the paratha with little oil on preheated tava and serve with a curry or sabji.
We have seen many benefits of kalonji seeds for internal health, but you will be amazed to know that kalonji seeds are for hair growth also. They are loaded with antioxidants and other nutrients which help promote hair growth, delay greying of hair, hydrate the hair, reduce frizz, add shine and cure the falling of hair.
- You can use kalonji oil by mixing coconut oil or castor oil, applying it on your scalp, and washing it the following day.
- If you do not have kalonji oil, take 2 tbsp of kalonji seeds and ½ cup of coconut oil and boil the seeds in coconut oil for 15-20 minutes and then drain the oil and apply it to your scalp. Use twice a week for good results.
-Dietitian Akshata Gandevikar
The Final Say
Kalonji seeds are great for both topical use and internal health. It provides many nutrients like protein, fibre, and many antioxidants. In addition, due to its different taste and texture can be used in many dishes like soups, salads, curries and many more dishes.
1. Are kalonji seeds and nigella seeds the same?
Yes, nigella seeds are the kalonji seeds’ scientific name.
2. How and when can kalonji seeds be consumed?
You can roast the seeds before consuming them. Try not to consume it raw; you can add them to making roti, paratha, sabji, curry, etc.
3. Can kalonji help induce periods?
No kalonji seeds help to delay periods rather than inducing them.
4. Can kalonji seed oil cure baldness?
Yes! It helps to reverse hair damage and promote hair growth.
5. Why are kalonji seeds called onion seeds?
Kalonji seeds come from the family of onions, also called onion seeds.
TONEOP is a platform dedicated to improving and maintaining your good health through a comprehensive range of goal-oriented diet plans and recipes. It also intends to provide value-added content to our consumers.
Download TONEOP to access our diet plans, recipes & much more.
Android user- https://bit.ly/ToneopAndroid
Apple user- https://apple.co/38ykc9
Subscribe to Toneop Newsletter
Simply enter your email address below and get ready to embark on a path to vibrant well-being. Together, let's create a healthier and happier you!
Download our app
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *